If you have a man with an immune system weaker than an infant’s, here are a few strategies to get you through his next bout of man flu:
- Resist the temptation to be too expert a nurse, lest he come to like your nursing too much. You need this nipped in the bud asap.
- Keep in mind that in his mind, he is on the brink of death. You’d never let a runny nose slow you down. But he is in agony. Avoid the “Are you serious?” looks, and “Really?” tone.
- Put on your whine armor. You are a fortress as the complaints fly at you with wild abandon. Nod empathetically as he describes his near-death experience. However, feel free to allow your mind to wander to tropical beaches or rolling hills blanketed with wild flowers.
- If you suspect his poor health is due to poor diet, sneak nutrient-rich foods in smoothies and sauces. (This technique works for veggie-averse toddlers, too.)
- If you suspect his poor health is due to lack of sleep, consider rolling clocks ahead for an earlier bed time.
- Encourage your little ones to play doctor on Daddy. Maybe they can help.
- Should there be some kid-free event you’ve been looking forward to – say, your monthly book club or girl’s night out – let this phrase be your mantra: “I believe in you.”
- Enjoy the six whole weeks or so before it comes around again.
- Do you have a man who never gets sick? Or when he does, is he outside chopping wood, installing new brake pads, and tossing the kids in the air? I bet your kids slept through the night from Day 1, too. Why are you here?